Sunday, June 27, 2010

The Beginning of my SAP Journey

Hi guys, just to share with you on my journey so far.
I started working in March 2008. Over there in my company, a few colleagues and I were put into a crash course and we were separated into Logistics teams, Financial teams, and ABAP teams. I was put into Logistics team because it seems to best fit me.
So on our first day, we started. Being in the Logistics team, we were thought MM - Materials Management, PP - Production Planning, PM - Plant Maintenance, and SD - Sales and Distribution. We were thought the very basics of each of these modules in order to prepare us to be thrown into random projects/implementations when we were done.
Upon completion of the course, we were then randomly given a module each, fortunately, I ended up with Materials Management. I'm assuming they chose based on our test results.

We were then immediately assigned to projects that were currently on-going. Being in a project, it is totally different than what you learn in SAP classes. Here, you would always have to be on your toes, understand client requirements, map their business processes and If it is feasible, check whether it is achievable within MM Module and also other Modules. Integration is the key here during Implementations. You cannot just depend on your own modules. You would need to check, and share everything with your project team members. They might be the ones to tell you whether what you are doing is OK or not.

So far, I've been on 2 full Implementations and 1 partial Implementation. The First full implementation as a Junior Consultant, and the second as a Consultant. As for the partial Implementation, I was assigned there temporarily during the Final Preparation stage to assist the MM Consultant in order to meet the tight schedule set by the Client without compromising the quality of the overall project.
Then after, I moved from being an Implementer to Support which is what I am doing till this moment. I'm supporting a major Port service company in Malaysia. It has been quite a journey so far, but I still have lots to learn. This would be one of the few noneducational posts that I will post. I will try to keep the rest strictly on a How-to basis to share my knowledge with all of you fellow SAPpers out there. :)

2 comments: