Monday, January 16, 2012

Purchase of Consumable Material

When we refer to consumable material, the term basically means materials which are not kept in stock but instead procured directly for an account assignment object. For example, a printer purchase for the purchasing department. In this case, the consumable material is the printer, and the account assignment object is the Purchasing Cost Centre.
It is optional for a consumable material to have a master record. Depending on the business scenario, if there is a need to create a material master for consumable material, then SAP offers 2 material types for this.
  1. Non-valuated material (UNBW). This type of material is managed on a quantity but not on a value basis. This makes sense for low value materials but keeping track of stock is a must.
  2. Non-stock material (NLAG). This type of material is not managed on both quantity or value basis. It is only used for frequently ordered items such as stationaries.
The key difference between a stock material and a consumable material is that, stock materials will be kept in stock and is valuated. This means that, every time you do a goods receipt for a stock item, your warehouse quantity increases and your balance sheet inventory account increases as well. The item is bought and stored in the warehouse first. Only when it is needed, then it is charged or consumed to the respective account assignment, such as Cost Centre, Production Order, Work Order, etc.
Consumable material on the other hand, is where we purchase a material (it can be a stock material as well), but for a specific purpose. For example, buying a printer for purchasing cost centre. This is an example of a consumable material purchase and this is why we need to enter the Account assignment at this point, since we are not storing it in the warehouse. So, SAP needs to know where will it be charging to during the Goods Receipt stage, hence why it is mandatory to have the account assignment in the Purchase Order stage. In this case, in the Purchase Order, we can enter a Printer Material code, or just enter a Short Text. For repeat purchases, it is recommended that we create a Material Master so that we do not have to key in all the necessary details over and over again. 

The following figure lists the most important difference between a Stock material and a Consumable material.

Stock Material   Consumable Material
Necessary to enter material   Possible but not necessary
Account Assignment category not required   Account Assignment category required
Goods Receipt mandatory   Goods Receipt optional
Postings done to stock accounts   Postings to consumption accounts
Material master updated with quantity, value and consumption   No value update, however, quantity and consumption update is possible
Adjustment of moving average price    

3 comments:

  1. Is it possible to store balance items of consumable purchases into storage location.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Halo,I'm Helena Julio from Ecuador,I want to talk good about Le_Meridian Funding Investors on this topic.Le_Meridian Funding Investors gives me financial support when all bank in my city turned down my request to grant me a loan of 500,000.00 USD, I tried all i could to get a loan from my banks here in Ecuador but they all turned me down because my credit was low but with god grace I came to know about Le_Meridian so I decided to give a try to apply for the loan. with God willing they grant me  loan of 500,000.00 USD the loan request that my banks here in Ecuador has turned me down for, it was really awesome doing business with them and my business is going well now. Here is Le_Meridian Funding Investment Email/WhatsApp Contact if you wish to apply loan from them.Email:lfdsloans@lemeridianfds.com / lfdsloans@outlook.comWhatsApp Contact:+1-989-394-3740.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My name is Mrs Nadia Albert from Russia, And i am a happy woman today through the help of a Loan lender, Mr Russ Harry. I will refer any person that is looking for loan to this Loan firm. He gave  happiness to me and my family, i was in need of a loan of $500,000.00 to start my life all over as i am a single mother with 2 kids I met this honest and GOD fearing man loan lender that help me with a loan of $500,000.00 US Dollar, at a low Rate. He is a God fearing man, if you are in need of loan and you will pay back the loan please contact him Via E-mail-Elegantloanfirm@hotmail.com /Whatsapp number+393511617486

    ReplyDelete